I remember when I first found out that my daughter was allergic to egg and dairy and I thought What am I going to cook?! How will I get my cakes to rise and my pancakes fluffy?? It was all so daunting in the beginning. I definitely had some blunders in the early days with my baking and cooking. 6 years later and I’m totally use to it (with the exception of things not working out here and there of course). I generally just throw a few things together and these were a result of exactly that. Using up what you have in the fridge and making them into tasty bites or meals are ideal. These fritters or veggie pancakes where a result of cleaning out what I had left in the fridge and needing to come up with something quick to give my kids. I used corn on the cob from the previous nights dinner and the last of the zucchini I had left. These delights came out fluffy and hubby thought I used eggs. Errm NO! These went down pretty quickly with my tribe and I was surprised that hubby ate the last one. I added a tomato and avocado salad in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Tahini and Himayalain salt and some raw carrot spirals. These fritters are great as a snack or even for breakfast. Incorporating vegetables into breakfast meals is a great way to get in those 5 a day recommended by health experts. Personally I think serving vegggie’s at breakfast is a wonderful way to start the day and should be done a few times a week if possible. Pair these fritters with some milk of choice or a smoothie for an all round nutritional meal.
- 200g whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 50g olive oil or coconut oil
- 2 flax eggs or egg of choice
- 300g milk of choice
- Kernels cut from 2 cooked corn on the cob
- Half of a large raw zucchini grated
- Put the pancake mix into a food processor and mix until well combined.
- Pour into a bowl and add the cooked corn kernels and grated zucchini. Mix well.
- Drop a soup ladle scoop of the mixture into a heated pan with oil of choice (I used coconut oil) and flip when bubbles appear on the surface of the pancake/fritter and cook until done.