A warming soup sure does tantalize the soul. We are a soup loving family. I actually love giving a mug of soup to my kids after school especially if they have been playing sport. It provides them with lots of nutrients and replenishes the body with vitamins and minerals from the vegetables. Did you know that cooking tomatoes increases the antioxidant in tomatoes which offers great healthy benefits, protein and fibre. Tomatoes contain a good source of Vitamin c and the cooking process doesn’t destroy this important nutrient. Lycopene increases in tomatoes when tomatoes are cooked and this assists with the reduction of heart disease and cancer. There are no nasties in this bowl of tomato soup and no tinned tomatoes that are high in salt.
Serving Size : 4 – 6 Serves
Cook Time : 1 hour
- 1 Onion peeled and chopped
- 2 Celery sticks, chopped
- 2 Carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 cups (750ml) Vegetable stock
- 5 Medium Slicing / Heirloom Tomatoe, peeled and chopped
- 410g x 2 Tins Whole-peeled Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Coconut Sugar (optional)
- 2 Fresh Bay Leaves
- Ground Black Pepper
- For the tomato soup, mix together the onion, celery and carrots in a large pot over medium heat, and cook until soft, 10 minutes. Add the remaining soup ingredients, put the lid on and simmer over low heat until the veggies are cooked, 25 minutes
- Remove the soup pot from the heat and allow to cool, 10 minutes, before blending until smooth . Pour the soup into bowls and serve and garnished with fresh basil or rosemary if desired.