Did you often heard that, “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day”, Well, it might be true! Breakfast provides the body and brain with fuel after an overnight fast – that’s where its name originates, breaking the fast! Without breakfast you are effectively running on empty, like trying to start the car with no petrol!
The health benefits of breakfast are really important, especially for kids. A recent report from the Australian Bureau of Statistics has found that one in seven school children are skipping a morning meal and missing out on the important benefits of breakfast. It’s a worrying statistic given that eating breakfast has been linked with productivity children in school!
Here’s some Nutritionist advice for kids’ breakfast:
- Breakfast should be eaten within two hours of getting up. The sooner kids eat breakfast, the better for their metabolism
- A healthy breakfast should provide calories in the range of 20-35% of guideline daily allowance (GDA).
Apart from providing with energy, breakfast foods are good sources of important nutrients such as calcium, iron and B vitamins as well as protein and fiber. The body needs these essential nutrients and research shows that if these are missed at breakfast, they are less likely to be compensated for later in the day.
Fruit and vegetables are good sources of vitamins and minerals so try to include a portion of your kids daily whether that be a banana or glass of fruit juice.
WHY BREAKFAST IS IMPORTANT?
Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day!
- Breakfast breaks your kids overnight fast
Breakfast is a great way to give the body the refueling it needs. Also refuels the glycogen (energy) stores, also stabilizes blood sugar level. Kids who eat breakfast tend to eat healthier overall and more likely to active in school
- Breakfast kick starts the metabolism.
Breakfast can improves the metabolism and help to keep kids weight in check. Kids who don’t eat breakfast often consume more calories during the day and likely to be overweight
- Breakfast provides kids with the energy to keep going throughout the day.
Skipping breakfast makes kids feel tired, restless or irritable, because there’s no fuel for 8 to 12 hours during sleep. Breakfast also provides many beneficial nutrients, and boosts your fiber and calcium intake (compared to no breakfast).
- Improves memory and concentration.
Breakfast kick-starts the body metabolism, the process by which the body converts the fuel in food into energy, it includes energy for brain too. So it improves kid’s memory and concentration.
CREATING A BREAKFAST ROUTINE
Even if you eat a healthy morning meal every day, it can be tough to get kids fueled up in time for school, childcare, or a day of play, isn’t’ it? Here’s some tips for you to create breakfast habit:
- Set your alarm for 10 minutes earlier to fit in breakfast at home. Prepare the easy yet nutritious breakfast for your kids early so you don’t have to rush in a last minute. You can prepare as much as you can the night before (gets dishes ready or cut up fruit)
- Let kids help you prepare the breakfast. That’s the fun way and can tight your bounding with kids
- If kids aren’t hungry yet, make sure to pack a breakfast that they can easily eat a little later on the bus
BREAKFAST IDEAS TO TRY
Morning meals doesn’t have to be all about traditional breakfast. Just mix it up with different food, so it’s not boring! Try to serve balanced breakfast include some carbohydrates, protein also fiber. Here’s some breakfast idea worth to try:
- Wholegrain toast with a thin scrape of peanut butter, or avocado and spinach or reduced fat ricotta.
- Porridge with mix fruits
- Fresh fruit and yoghurt.
- Wholegrain cereals with reduced fat milk.
- Cooked quinoa with tropical fruits
- Whole meal fruit toast with thin scrap of cream cheese.
- Fruit or vegetable smoothies.
- Boiled eggs with wholegrain toast.
- Untoasted muesli.
- Finger toast with creamy avocado tahini
- Spanish omelet and boiled veggies
- Pancakes banana and strawberry
The most important is, don’t forget to show your kids how important the breakfast is. Let them see you making time to enjoy prepare healthy morning meal every day.