Home made TAHINI is easy to make and so much better than any you can purchase at the store. Tahini is a paste made from sesame seeds that are either hulled or unhulled, raw, sprouted or toasted. It’s rich in minerals such as phosphorus, lecithin, magnesium, potassium and iron. It’s a good source of Methionine, which aids in liver detoxification and one of the best sources of calcium out there. It is ideal for those who have dairy allergies or intolerance aiding in a boost of calcium. Not just for Hummus, Tahini is fantastic for dressings on salads, added in smoothies or used to jazz up a meal or simply spread onto bread.
- 1 cup sesame seeds non hulled
- 3 tbs Virgin olive oil
- Pinch of salt, optional
- Add sesame seeds to a food processor then process until a crumbly paste forms, about 1 minute.
- Add 3 tablespoons of the oil then process for 2 to 3 minutes more, scrape the bottom and sides of the food processor a couple times.
- Check the tahini’s consistency. It should be smooth, not gritty and should be pourable.
- You may need to process for another minute or add the additional tablespoon of oil.
- Taste the tahini for seasoning then add salt if desired to taste.
- Process 5 to 10 seconds to mix it in.
- Store in the refrigerator for 1 month.
- If it separates stir well before using