I absolutely love the challenge to come up with a dish that kids will love. This week I’m taking part in the @Instaweanteam Instagram challenge with the vegetable chosen being leek. These Mini Tofu Leek Quiches were a right hit with my kids and I must be honest I totally enjoyed them also. I was a little skeptical on how it would turn out as it my first time making an egg less quiche however this was a winner with the lot being polished up and kids requesting I make them again! The texture is quite the same as a regular egg quiche so if in doubt like I was then do give it a go as I’m sure you will be pleased. My little man absolutely does not like egg at all. I’m not sure if its a texture thing or what but let me assure you he thoroughly enjoyed these beauties eating 3 in a row!
I needed to make a dish that was suitable hot or cold and that could be versatile as my daughter had gymnastics late afternoon and we usually eat dinner in the car on the way home. I had tofu on the mind and was wondering how I could incorporate that into my the challenge. In the past I wasn’t a great fan of tofu but I am trying to incorporate it more in my meals. It then dawned on me to make a tofu quiche with leeks and other vegetables. Being that this was a first for me to make and also for my kids to eat I wanted to include flavours I knew they liked so I bought some baby asparagus, corn and mushrooms. I needed a casing to put the mini quiches in and bought some puff pastry. I haven’t used puff pastry for some time now and knew this would entice my kids to eat the mini quiches even more so. Anything to get them to take that first bite into the unknown of a tofu quiche!
These Mini Tofu and Leek Quiche are bursting with flavour that the entire family can enjoy. Quick and easy to assemble, these are perfect for any time of day as breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner paired up with a salad or raw vegetable sticks or as snacks on the go. Enjoy them warm or cold these are a definite taste bud pleaser.
Serving Size : 10 – 12 serve
Prep Time : 10 minute
Cook Time : 50 minute
- 300g Firm Tofu
- 1/3 cup Chopped Leek (white part only)
- 1/3 cup Mushrooms (peeled and chopped)
- 1/3 cup Baby Asparagus (chopped)
- 1/3 cup Fresh Corn Kernels (or frozen)
- 3 tbs Nutritional Yeast (or cheese of choice)
- 1 tbs Coconut oil (or oilive oil)
- 1 tbs Almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 Garlic Clove
- Preheat Oven to 180C
- Wash and chop vegetables to desired size.
- In a pan add oil and slowly heat on a gentle flame.
- Add salt then the chopped leeks (white part only) and saute on low heat until soft and slightly transparent approx 3-4 mins.
- Add in asparagus, mushroom and corn and gently saute for 5 minutes. Whilst the veggies are sauteing drain any fluid from the tofu by placing it between a paper towel. In a food processor add the tofu, milk and nutritional yeast. Blend until smooth and well combined.
Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- Cut the puff pastry into 4 equal squares (roughly) on each sheet. either bast a cup cake tray with oil or use parchment paper. If using parchment paper place the paper into the holes of a cup cake tray. Place the puff pasty inside the cup cake tray and place to one side.
- When the vegetables are done sauteing add them to the tofu mixture and mix well until combined. Place 1 large tbs into the puff pastry cups. Fold the the edges over and brush with almond milk or milk of choice. (This helps brown the pastry).
- Bake for 40 mins until pastry is slightly browned.
Adding salt to the pan prior to cooking vegetables cooks the salt first and lessens the likelihood of the vegetables burning quickly.
Use vegan pastry for a vegan quiche